Wednesday 28 May 2014

On the passing of Maya Angelou

Today I learned about the sad passing of writer, poet and storyteller, Maya Angelou. I am rarely saddened when people whom I have never met before, suddenly pass away. But today I felt sadness at the loss of her beautiful words which brought such homely truth and comfort to many. Despite her words, her life echoed in so many ways and in to so many places, like the civil rights movement and fight for freedom. Today, I want to honour her memory by posting some pieces of her writings which have touched me. I must add that, before I had ever heard of Maya Angelou I had written a poem entitled "I am Woman" and "Still I will rise." Later on, I learned that she had published works by the same name, Rest in peace....

- In all the institutions I try to be present and accountable for all I do and leave undone. I know that eventually I shall have to be present and accountable n the presence of God. I do not wish to be found wanting.” 

 -  You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” 

- “A friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face.”  

- Let's tell the truth to people. When people ask, 'How are you?' have the nerve sometimes to answer truthfully. You must know, however, that people will start avoiding you because, they, too, have knees that pain them and heads that hurt and they don't want to know about yours. But think of it this way: If people avoid you, you will have more time to meditate and do fine research on a cure for whatever truly afflicts you.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment