Thursday 5 January 2012

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.



I love the way some people have a unique way of seeing things, as though they are able to see the truth that is so apparent and simple, but others around them cannot see the same thing.

Dr Martin Luther King Jr, made some profound statements that are universally true and I guess a few years ago seemed crazy but today through experience we can see the validity in some of what he said. For me it is not about black or white it is about equality for ALL PEOPLE, no matter who they are. When we can start to see people for who they are and not for the colour of their skin, we can start to see reality and what lies within them still to be lived out. I hope we will get there, to the place where we see into each others souls; deep within and then the hurt that I have, will be recognised as the same hurt you have - no matter how we look - and then we have something that connects us and we can help one another. I also pray that we will get to a day where we will also be able to see each other not through our genders but through our callings. In this way I relate to Dr King and I have the greatest respect for his vision. I add some of his quotes here that are most valuable and challenging to me, in terms of gender and race. I hope we live to see the day where all is erased. 

The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict. 

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' 
Means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek.
Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence of spirit. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment